Gallery of Life
Life is both obvious and mysterious. It is all around us, yet many are not sure of why and how it got here. Exactly what is is remains an essential mystery as well.
Present day biologists have classified life into ‘folders’ and ‘sub-folders’.
At the top is domain, and right underneath that is kingdom (eg. plant and animal). Phylum is the next division down and for animals includes about 30 , including:
- Porifera – sponges
- Cnidaria – corals and anemones
- Echinodermata – starfish, sand dollars, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, etc
- Mollusca – snails, clams, mussels, slugs and squid!
- Crustacea – crabs, shrimp, barnacles, lobsters, etc.
- Chordata – fish, birds, turtles, reptiles and mammals
Many of the Phylum, not well represented on land, are in abundance underwater. Therefore those who love life, and are fascinated by it, are like kids in the candy store, when underwater.